Period sex seems to be becoming more socially acceptable, for many, it is now a normal part of their sex life. If the idea of getting sex while you are dealing with period cramps is unappealing, the idea of some positions just seems painful (despite the fact that hormones released with orgasm are touted as offering relief from menstrual pain). Menstrual cramps, for the most part, have to do with your uterus and ovaries, so avoiding positions that put pressure on that is a good place to start. Deeper penetration is probably not high on the to-do list either and trusty go to’s are said to create acute angles and the forces that are transferred may be less than ideal. Now if you happen to feel like having sex during your period but are not sure how that works, we are here to tell you that there are period friendly sex positions.
In general, think any position that means you are on top and in control of depth of penetration or less intense positions, think more relaxed and chilled out positions like spooning or anything on the side. Periods equal lower the intensity, depth and put you in control are good ways to start experimenting with what works for you and your partner. Here are 3 to get you started with your experimenting.
Spooning Sex is a tried-and-true favorite for a reason. It is relaxed, chilled, low intensity and sexy and intimate all at the same time. It lowers the intensity, depth of penetration and gives you more control so Tick, Tick, and Tick.
- Start by lying on your side with your knees bent and invite your partner to spoon you. From there, they can penetrate you as slowly and gently as you want them to.
- Knees closer to your chest equals a more acute angle of penetration will be. So, moving your knees gives you your control.
Alternative: This one takes a little more energy, but the chair is like a step-up alternative for spooning. Ask your partner to kneel on the bed with their legs totally bent and their torso sitting straight up. As you squat into their lap, slide onto your partner’s penis or strap-on and lean back into their chest. You can grind and move however feels good. See an alternative for spooning that still has you in control.
Remember that you are looking for positions that put you in control of intensity and depth of penetration, being on top gives you that. Cowgirl (and reverse cowgirl) is a period friendly position.
- Ask your partner to lie down on their back, and facing them, climb on top, with one knee on either side of their body. (Turn around to face their feet for Reverse Cowgirl.)
- Your partner can sit up legs straight forward, changing things up like this allows them to grab your butt or your boobs depending on which way you are facing.
Alternative: The Lotus is a closer, more intimate position to the Cowgirl, it is perfect for when you feel like more slow and sensual sex. Have your partner sit down with their legs crossed in front of them, and then sit on their lap, facing them, with your legs wrapped around their back. From there do whatever else feels good for you.
Standing sex is bold and period sex is the perfect opportunity to be bold. Face to Face puts you on top and gives you a bold alternative to Cowgirl.
- Ask your partner to stand up and bend their knees until they’re shorter than you. Meet them face-to-face, and slide onto their penis or strap-on at a speed and depth that feels comfortable to you.
- Both feet on the ground, one leg wrapped around your partner or both legs wrapped around your partner all change the depth and intensity of penetration, feet off the ground equals deeper penetration.
If you are going to give period sex a go it is a good idea to use a product like Decor Fascinator by Liberator, it is designed to be luxurious plush and to protect your bed linen.