When you are naked how do you feel about that? Do you avoid it? Do you love it?
For many, this can be an uncomfortable experience! It might bring up judgments, shame, embarrassment, discomfort, avoidance, fear, anxiety, or all of the above. A negative relationship with your own body is not an unusual thing and that can impact your sex life.
How I hear you ask, well here are a few;
- You can be anxious about what a partner thinks when they see you naked.
- You could do everything in your power to make sure your partner doesn’t see your body naked.
- Intimacy can be stressful
- You get distracted by self-judgment and stuck in your head during sex.
- Performance anxiety and trouble reaching orgasm is likely.
- Distraction and being stuck in your head limit the level of pleasure you feel in the moment.
A big part of that is self-care. The year has only just started but I bet that you are already busy and finding the days and weeks going by quickly. Between work, relationships, family, exercise, side hustles, hobbies, therapy, and the list goes on. Every moment of every day must be spent very wisely.
It is when we get so busy that we don’t have downtime and enjoying life seems impossible, or at least not something you have time for. Self-care at its core means to care for yourself. Simple concept but for most of us we find it incredibly hard to do, most of us just don’t take good care of ourselves.
If you want a good relationship with yourself there is no question that you have to take care of yourself. Self-care is especially important when it comes to your body confidence and a mind-body connection.
We want our bodies to feel relaxed and experience pleasure but without that mind-body connection or a positive relationship with yourself that is hard work actually it doesn’t work that way! We all know to be kind and compassionate to other human beings, but we often forget to show that same respect for ourselves!
I want to encourage you to pamper your body and create experiences that will feel comfortable, loving, and a little luxurious to your body because no amount of self-hate would ever change the way your body looks. Practicing compassion and self-care feels sooo much better than berating yourself. Pleasure feels SO much better than pain. Unless you’re into that.
Here are 11 ways to connect with your body in 5 minutes or less:
- Talk to your body. Look at your body in the mirror and give it compliments. Ask how it’s doing. Describe the kind of relationship that you want to have with your body.
- Put your hands on your skin and practice sending messages of love to your body. You can do this dressed of naked. You can do this quietly to yourself even fully clothed during your busy day – a great way to ground yourself and bring awareness back to how your body is handling the day.
- Experiment with different ways of touching your body, like massaging, scratching, or caressing. Rub lotion or massage oil onto your body.
- Visualize white light filling up every inch of your body.
- Listen to your favorite song and dance along.
- Sit in the sunshine and feel the warmth on your skin. Or take a moment to relish the warm water on your shoulders in the shower.
- Do some light stretching or yoga.
- Put on your most comfortable clothes. Yes, PJ’s fall into this category.
- Sing in the shower (yes like no one can hear you). Feel how the sound reverberates in your body.
- Get cozy and watch a movie (blanket, fuzzy socks, comfy shirt).
- Write down your goals for improving your relationship with your body. Journal about what you learn about your body as you try different forms of self-care.
Here are 10 deeper ways to connect with your body;
- Get a massage.
- Get out in nature even a walk with your dog qualifies here and your dog will love it. And if you need a little reminder, they will also remind you of what unconditional love is.
- Hit up a local sauna or hot tub. If you don’t have access to one a long, luxurious bath is gorgeous too.
- Take a nap. Yes, nana naps are cool, and they are so good for you.
- Treat yourself to your favorite meal. Eat each bite slowly and intentionally, savoring the flavors.
- Get bodywork done (Reiki, Acupuncture, etc.).
- Buy a new outfit that makes you feel confident and attractive.
- Find DIY body treatments and give yourself a natural spa day.
- Set boundaries and say no if something or someone drains your energy.
- During your massage, your yoga, your meditation, your bath, whatever you choose pay attention to the messages your body is sending, value yourself enough to take time to process those, in a big act of self-love take action on those messages and build them into a habit.
To every conscious rebel that knows self-care is important, ENJOY!
To those moving in that direction;
You are worth it!
Your pleasure and your sexuality are worth it! They are an important aspect of your quality of life.